Question
Posted by: zoo | 2009-02-09

food intolerence and weight loss

Good day Doc

I am allegic to wheat and also want to loose weight.Most of the times after taking bath my skin itches for about 30 min.Please advice on what to eat and avoid.And the other thing i love my ciders,i believe that alcohol makes you fat.Is the any alcohol that does not make you fat.Please help.

Zukiswa Swakamisa

Dear Zoo
Wheat allergies are very difficult to treat because most processed foods contain some or other form of wheat. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you with a wheat-free slimming diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about wheat allergy. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . To obtain relief for your itchy skin it may also be a good idea to consult a Dermatologist who will advise what bath oils and creams you should use. As regards the cider - any alcohol is fattening because it contains 29 kJ per 1ml, second only to fat which provides 37 kJ per gram. So people who need to lose weight are generally advised to cut down on fat and alcohol intake. If you insist on having some cider then have only one every second or third day and make it last as long as possible by adding plenty of ice.