Question
Posted by: ed | 2013-02-10

food for mood

suffer from depression, anxiety, anger, stress etc... been told improving my diet will help, any ideas?

Dear Ed
If you suffer from depression, anxiety, anger and stress, then I trust that you are receiving assistance from a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist? If not please ask your gp to refer you to such health professionals to assist you to manage your psychological problems and take control of your life. A basic well balanced diet is a diet that contains all the food groups: plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables; low-fat milk and dairy products, such as yoghurt, cottage cheese; lean meat, fatty fish, eggs and legumes; mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oils and omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon oil; whole-grain, or preferably low-GI cereals, breads and starches. The use of other vitamin and mineral supplements may help in certain instances, but before you take any of these supplements you will need to check with the doctor treating your condition if such supplements do not interfere with medications that may have been prescribed. Doing relaxing exercise such as yoga and deep breathing can also contribute a great deal to healing psychological stress. More energetic exercise (running, swimming skipping, cycling, etc) will again help against depression and often dissipate anger. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and do searches with the terms "Healthy nervous system” to read the many articles I have written on the interaction of dietary factors and the psyche.
I do hope that you will soon be feeling much better.