Posted by: Nettie | 2012-11-03

Food for cirrhosis

Hi ,my husband is diabetic,had his gallbladder removed and has cirrhosis of the liver.What are the no-no''s for his condition,we try to eat healthy because of the diabetes ,but he was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with the cirrhosis after the gallbladder operation. He has a sweet tooth,but I bake diabetic,low GI cakes He also has a problem with knowing what to drink apart from tea.He has had a drink or sigarette in 12 years. Thanks.

Dear Nettie
I am so sorry to hear of your husband's health problems. Because he suffers from diabetes and cirrhosis, it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your husband's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and cirrhosis, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your husband that takes both the diabetes and the cirrhosis into account. You can contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: to buy a copy of her cookbook for diabetics and patients with insulin resistance, which is called 'South African Cookbook for Diabetes and Insulin Resistance'. This cookbook contains recipes including cakes and puddings which diabetics and patients with IR or high cholesterol can eat and enjoy.
Holding thumbs for both of you