Question
Posted by: help | 2008/07/16

Food & Drink Choice Complications

Please can you help me. My husband is 38 and needs to make a few changes to his diet and eating habbits, but herewith his problem. Could you please suggest some alternatives that we can think of:
Drinks that are out : alcohol, he hates tea and coffee, fizzy drinks are a no-no. loves water but the tap water is not safe. enjoys iced tea and flavoured water. any other suggestions what he can add to his diet to drink?

Food that is out : anything containing wheat as he is allergic to wheat. red meat only twice a week max as he has been advised recently by Dr. that his cholestrol is way too high. Cheese and dairy products are out. No crumbed fish or chicken. Potatoes and veggies are in. Plain fish and chicken is in.

Thanks for your help as I dont know what to feed him anymore.

Dear Help
Your husband can drink boiled and cooled tap water or you could invest in a water purifier. He can also drink diluted fruit juice and soda water. To read more about wheat allergy click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on food allergies, including wheat allergy. You can also visit the Website of the SA Allergy Association at: www.allallergy.co.za . As regards the cholesterol issue: To lower his cholesterol levels basically he will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if he does not need to lose any weight he can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. He can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If he requires a specific diet to be worked out for him, then I would recommend that he should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).