Question
Posted by: Bobbi | 2008/07/07

Food combining to eliminate ABS, Reflux

I recently found a website claiming to eliminate IBS, Reflux, GORD symptoms by combining acid/alkali-producing foods properly, to prevent them producing bad tummy reactions.
Following the food combo rules, one can stop taking medication & start eating fruit/spicy foods again. There's a free 'detox' booklet & 5 books for $50 (No medication).
My husband & I both have different IBS/Reflux symptoms, but we eat quite healthily (he even exercises 4-5 times per week).
Have you heard about this Food-combining theory? I'm looking for evidence, apart from the 1000's of testmonials on this site.
Thank you.

Dear Bobbi
I have heard of food combining to achieve all kinds of results (weightloss, reduction in acidity, increase energy, etc), but not in the scientific literature. The problem with the theory such ideas are based on is as follows: this website says that by combining acid and alkaline-producing foods you will eliminate a whole range of digestive conditions (IBS, reflux and GORD). However what they don't tell you is that all foods that arrive in the stomach will have very little effect on the pH of the stomach because of its very high acid content (even in individuals without gastric complaints the pH of the stomach is very low and very acid). It is true that when certain foods are DIGESTED and absorbed into the blood stream, they do give what we call an acid or alkaline ash residue that can affect the pH of the body (but not of the stomach). I will list these foods for you below. The problem with conditions like IBS, reflux and GORD is that they need to be treated with a combination of medication and diet. For example, some patients react negatively to white bread, while others react to brown bread - this is an individual reaction which must be pinpointed after which the offending foods must be eliminated. I would honestly rather spend the $50 on consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with the correct diet for your different complaints. Here is the list of acid and alkaline foods: Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral.
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: JC | 2008/07/10

I take root ginger with a glass of water 3 times a week
is this good or bad for the system.
I have osterioporises.

Reply to JC