Question
Posted by: too-much-for-too-short | 2008/06/02

Food combinations

Dear DietDoc,

I would like to know if the following menu is suitable for me:

I am 31years old, very short (I think 1.63m) and I weigh 62. I need to loose about 8kg to fit into a size 8 again, but I think my combination of foods are not helping.

Mornings:
1 and a half table sppn Fruit free muesli with 1 spoon low fat smooth yogurt.
or 1 boiled egg and 1 slice cooked ham

Lunch:
175g yogurt - low fat
or
2 slices cooked ham

Snack:
1 apple or 1 banana

Dinner:
This where I think I am going wrong:
I have a four year old son and need to make decent food for him:
Examples:
Spaghetti bolognaise and salad
or
Lemon juice grilled chicken, mash and peas
or
lean mince curry and rice & avo and tamato salad

Thanks!

Dear Too-much-for-too-short
Your present BMI = 23,3 which is nicely within the normal range. For an ideal BMI of 22 you would only need to lose 4 kg, so you do not need to use such a starvation diet to achieve your goal. I suspect that when you fitted into a size 8 dress you were practically anorexic which is not desirable and can expose you to many stresses. Please check out the balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and make the necessary changes to your proposed food intake which may lead to nutrient deficiencies because it is so minimalistic. You can also increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), to promote weight loss without having to starve and to firm up your body.