Question
Posted by: coleen roux | 2010/05/28

Food allergy

I suffer from bad urticaria and wheezing, I have tested negative to most allergens. I suspect it is dairy related. Where can I find a good dairy free diet

Dear Coleen
Were you tested for milk and dairy allergies? If you were and tested negative then it is unnecessary to cut out all dairy foods because doing so will deprive you of the most important source of calcium in your diet. Women need 1200 mg of calcium a day which can be obtained from 3 servings a day of milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses. If you do plan to cut out all dairy products, then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a milk and dairy-free diet for you that does not cause a calcium deficiency which can lead to brittle bones now, and osteoporosis in later life. I would also consult a Dermatologist about the urticaria because there are thousands of other allergens you may be coming into contact with, which you have not been tested for.

1

Dear Coleen