Question
Posted by: Ellen | 2010/11/16

Food allergies

My 5 year old son recently had blood tests done, and it was established that he is highly allergic for egg whites and milk, and in a lesser way to fish and nuts.

Is there anywhere (like a website) where I can find guidelines for his diet...I have loads of questions, like what to put on his sandwiches (not sure if butter or margarine is safe), I am not sure if he can have cookies, can he have a little bit of low fat milk in his porridge, things like that. Please advise.

Dear Ellen
I am sorry to hear that your 5-year-old son has allergies to egg white, milk, fish and nuts because as you well know, this complicates his diet a great deal. Because of the complexity of his allergies and the fact that he still needs to eat a balanced diet which will ensure that he grows strong and healthy despite cutting out so many different foods, I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to guide you on what he can and cannot eat. Contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. The Allergy Association Website lists the foods that you need to avoid if your son has these allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet and Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'.

1

Dear Ellen