Question
Posted by: TUBBY | 2009/07/03

Food Allergies

Do you know which is the best test to do for food allergies as I know the Alcat test is rather expensive. How accurate is the Vega Test or Scratch Test???
Tubby

Dear Tubby
I am personally not in favour of the Vega Allergy Test because it has been shown to produce inaccurate results. The scratch or patch test is reasonably specific particularly if you develop skin reactions, but if you have true food allergies, I think you should have the Alcat test. Discuss the options with your medical dr who will refer you to a laboratory for the correct type of allergy test.