Question
Posted by: Joubert | 2009-06-25

Food Adiction

On the 24th of May 2009, I decided to start eating more healthy food, exercise and generally live a healthier life. I am a 24 year old male, 1.9m tall and weigh 90Kilos. My ideal weight is 75kilos.

So far I have kept to my eating plan and have lost weight.

Before I started eating healthy my daily eating plan was eat KFC for lunch at work and at night maybe make myself a sandwitch and drink lots of coke.

At first it was a struggle to not want to go out and buy KFC, but now its become easier but sometimes I still CRAVE KFC the only reason I don' t go for the KFC is because I now know more about food and my body than I did a month ago.

Will this craving for KFC eventually dissapear ?

Dear Joubert
Congratulations that you have started to eat healthy food and do exercise. I see that your present BMI = 24.9, which is just still within the normal range (18-25). As a tall man, I would recommend that you use 83 kg and a BMI of 23 as your goals. Like all high-fat foods, KFC is highly addictive. Humans tend to crave high-fat foods because of their so-called "mouth feel" (the sensation created in the mouth by foods). In addition those herbs and spices which are added to KFC, also contribute to their appeal. You will slowly lose the urge to buy KFC (the time it takes will depend on how long you have relied on this food and how habituated you are). You can as a treat buy Nando's chicken breasts which have a lower fat content and also provide a tasty, spicy flavour. Also make sure that you are still getting sufficient energy from carbohydrates in your diet that you can sustain your exercise programme. You can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet as a guideline (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Increase the portions of low-fat foods in this diet to ensure that you are not hungry.