Question
Posted by: b.e. | 2012/05/14

food addiction

Hi diet doc, do u have any suggestions as to how i would go about getting over my food addiction? i honestly can''t stop eating, and when i am not eating, i am thinking about what i am gonna eat next/tomorrow/next week! it has taken over my life! any suggestions from anyone? x

Dear b.e.
In some cases food addiction is caused by underlying physical problems such as insulin resistance or diabetes or a brain tumour, so the first step is always to have a medical examination to exclude such causes. If you are given a clean bill of physical health then it is important to also have a psychological assessment to determine if you are using food as a crutch or a reward or a refuge or if you are reverting back to conditioning learned as a child. Ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist who specialises in eating disorders.
I do hope that you will be able to eliminate this food addiction.

1

Dear b.e.