Question

Food Addict

Dear Doc, is it possible to be addicted to food? In fact, I don''t think that I am addicted to food, per se, I think I am addicted to EATING. I can eat and eat and eat. I sometimes enjoy the food that I eat but at most, I enjoy the sensation of eating. I can eat so much and the only time that I truly feel satisfied is when I feel sick. Strangely, after about 30 min of feeling sick, I can continue eating. I am really worried. Is this just psychological??

Dear Food Addict
It is certainly possible for people to be addicted to food per se and also to be addicted to the physical process of eating. The causes of both these conditions are very diverse, for example some people eat and eat to satisfy some deep psychological need, other individuals have started overeating as a learned behaviour which often arises because of parental instructions to "clean your plate", or there could be physical causes such as an imbalance in the appetite control system. I would recommend that you contact one of the eating disorder centres (Tara Hospital in Gauteng as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010; the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 in Cape Town or Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za in KwaZulu Natal). Because these centres usually have teams of medical doctors, psychologists and a dietitian available, they should be able to pinpoint what cause is triggering your addiction to eating and to suggest treatment.
I shall hold thumbs that you can get to the bottom of this problem and eliminate it because it will improve your quality of life.

1

Dear Food Addict