Question
Posted by: Black Dog | 2010/10/21

Food

Hi i have a obsession with food think of it every min of every day, I am on med for Bi-polar. How do i change my mindset without consulting a diet person dont like them i realy pick up weight easy. I use to be reverse when trained at the gym. I had obsession with food just refused to eat it, now i cannot leave it alone i need to loose 15KG ill gym im just worried about my food thing. i am 27 years old.
Thanks 4 Ur time
Black Dog

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi "Black Dog",
I assume that you are seeing a psychiatrist for the management of your medication for bipolar disorder. For this, I assume that you are on at least one mood stabilizer. I do not want to mention any trade names, but some of the anticonvulsants (which are used for mood stability) have an effect in decreasing appetite, and your psychiatrist may want to consider this. Although I do not, as a rule, condone the use of appetite suppressants, I would condone your choice of bipolar meds be that of one that decreases your appetite over one that may increase it. That aside, you need to consider that part of your bipolar management needs to be to look at your "bipolar" relationship with food. In your question, you mention how you are now constantly obsessed about food, while before you used to refuse it. It seems that your relationship with food even reflects opposites. Are you in therapy, as this needs to be explored. You also need to look as to why you are so anti dieticians, as having someone guide you sensibly in eating moderately and healthily would be very helpful for you. What have your previous dietetic experiences been that have so soured your opinion about dieticians? With regards to exercise, this also needs to be done moderately. I wish you best in your way forward.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Black Dog | 2010/10/25

Thanks so very much 4 thaking time to talk to me. I will look into it.

Reply to Black Dog
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/10/24

Hi "Black Dog",
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert