Question
Posted by: lee-anne | 2010-06-02

food

I would like to find out if you know or have heard of " satin balls" ?

Is it good for one's dogs? And if you know satin balls which cereal can I use in the place of " total cereal"  as we dont have that product in SA?

How much should i give to my dogs as a treat. Dogs are a meduim size and large size dogs.

Hi Lee-Anne

I am not familiar with satin balls so I cannot comment. If nutrition is of concern then I would advise that you purchase reliable premium dog brands such as Hill's, Eukanuba, Royal Canine, Vet Choice, Ulta Dog e.t.c. These diets have been scientifically formulated to provide all your pets nutritional requirements. Generally I only give treats as a reward to good behaviour.

If your are not happy going down the commercial petfood route then ask your local vet about home made diets.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-06-03

Hi Lee-Anne

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-06-02

If you google " satin balls"  you will find a whole load of information - the key part is that they are a surefire way to make dogs fat.

''Total cereal'' is not a product - it simply means a whole grain - ie, ground wheat with all its components (bran, wheatgerm etc) instead of just plain flour. No, ''wholewheat flour'' isn''t the same. Anything with wheatgerm in has to be kept refrigerated, as the germ contains fat which will otherwise go rancid.

What you should be doing instead of messing with this stuff is feeding your dogs a good brand of dry dogfood - this is scientifically proven to be the healthiest most complete diet for dogs. Treats should be given sparingly - and remember that a dog is just as happy with a one-centimetre piece of droewors as with 10 cm, and dogs don''t know the difference between a quarter of a Marie biscuit and a whole one - it''s the ''occasion'' that should be special, not the quantity.

As a matter of interest, apart from advances in veterinary science, the single reason dogs now commonly live longer even than 20 or 25 years ago is the development of the premium dogfoods - don''t scorn them, they work!

Reply to Chill