Posted by: dw | 2009-03-25

following my passion

Hi. I am trying to start my own business but I am so risk averse that I am having panic attacks and exhausted. The field I want to move into is is my passion but I am just worried I wont be able to cover my costs as I have to rely on other people paying me. I thought I would do it for about 4 months part time and not leaving my existing job. That way if it doesnt work, I still have my current job and if I have debt incurred by this part time job, I will still be able to pay it back. To start something new, is there always a capital outlay involved? I really want out of my current career and get onto this new path, and now seems to be the perfect time just to do it. How can I overcome this fear I have?

Panic attacks are, indeed, exhausting. A counsellor could help you cope with the anxiety more comfortably and realistically ; a financial advisor, maybe at your bank, could perhaps help with a realistic assessment of your business plan. The idea of starting part-time sounds wise, as it'll let you get a feel for the business world and how to find clients, before burning bridges to a secure job and income. This isn't exactly the best of times to seek employment from multiple companies, who may be cautious about outsourcing work they might do, even if not so well, in-house. This may be the perfect time for such a move from the point of your own feelings, maybe not the best time in terms of the world economy.