Posted by: Anon | 2010-10-22

Follow-up case

Hi doc

I have written to you before regarding my problem and just want to follow up.

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid a month ago and I am on Euthyrox daily as it was not very underactive.

I am going through a very nerve-wrecking exam period at the moment and am also experiencing constipation if I stop my laxative, but the constipation of course could also be ascribed to the underactive thyroid?

As a result of anxiety and the constipation, my anus is burning at times (perhaps because I wipe it excessively as it takes long to get clean after a bowel movement) and sometimes after a bowel movement it feels as though I did not empty my bowel completely, as if a piece stayed behind. I am almost certain that I developed a bit of an internal hemorrhoid as a result of my constipation, but I have been on Movicol and a probiotic for quite a while now to help ease the constipation. It also feels to me as if my anal muscles are in spasm or " tight: most of the day, which is probably the anxiety, but I battle to relax it while stressed.

What can I do additionally? Should I perhaps get Anusol suppositories from the pharmacy and see if it helps? Are these safe to take? Can I take anything to help with the anxiety?

Thanks and regards.

I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination, to confirm if you do have rectal hemorrhoid or an anal mucosal tare, before using Anusol suppositries. You can try adding fibre capsules (available at health shops) to your diet, as this might alleviate your constipation.

Your doctor will give you advice and a possible prescription to alleviate your anxiety.