Question
Posted by: ct | 2010-11-27

follow up appointment(s)

Hi there Dietdoc
Firstly, thank you for your dedication to answering our questions, it is truly appreciated.

My question: i went to a dietician recently (i only went to make certain people happy) and honestly didnt feel inspired at all. Maybe because i have a nutrition (and fitness) background and felt that i was being told what i already know...anyway, she is calling for me to go for a follow up. i really dont want to go as i feel it is really expensive and i just dont WANT to see someone who tells me what i know. i know what i need to do...it''s MY decision, but i feel guilty for having her trying to arrange a follow up. i respect the profession, i respect her, but i just dont want to go. is it ok to just ignore the calls for a follow up, or what do i say?

sorry for the long paragraph :(

Dear CT
Thank you for your kind words which make my day! The decision to consult a healthcare professional once and to go for follow-up appointments is up to the individual patient. You will have to decide if you wish to see the specific dietitian again or not. If you decide not to continue seeing the dietitian then it is protocol to phone her rooms and cancel any appointment that may have been made (in good time) and/or to tell her or her receptionist that you are not going to be seeing her again. As you say, the decision is yours, but you must at least out of courtesy let the professional know what is going on. You don't mention for what condition you consulted the dietitian, so think carefully before you take your decision to cancel follow-ups. If you have a condition like an eating disorder (?) then you may be trying to avoid help that would assist you in recovery.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-28

Dear CT