Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/12

Follow UP

Hi Scotty

Separation Anxiety seems to be better in my staffie, we cleaned out our huge garage and when we go out (not for too long) we lock him in the garage with radio, lots of chewy''s his bed, still looking for crate and his seems to be happy in there. I just feel so horrible locking him in the garage but everyone said he would be ok.

Teaching him the command COME now since I have notice he didnt get it when on walks in the morning. With the treats and practice in the garden his doing great. Not 100% there yet but we have made huge progress.

Still hard for me to separate from him when I am at home. Know its not right but esp when I am alone its nice to have him around but I am doing the putting him outside with chewy for parts of the day and closing doors so his not with me the whole time.

Think the hormones are kicking in as well cause his more alert did his first dump at the park this morning and just so energetic.

His now 6 months. How long before the hormones really kick in?

Thanks for all your good advice.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, well done am thrilled for you! What is so very important about this type of work, which i think i mentioned before is not to leave the dog alone for longer than he can cope with or else you go right back to the beginning.

With the Alone time practice in the garage, make sure that you do this as often as possible as a practice session, not only when you go out. When you go back in the garage to let him out, remember to take all the 'goodies' away. This will really reinforce the thinking that 'good things really happen when i go in there'.

The short sessions of alone time in the house, walking from room to room, shutting door behind you and slowly increasing, are really important. At the end of the day would you follow your boss all around the office? (OK if it was Richard Geer i might!)By doing this you are making him more secure and he will realize that as pack leader you go where you want when you want.

Now that you are making progress, increase the amount of time he is outside alone, with the door shut to the house! Make this rewarding as well by giving him a nice chewy outside, leave him a few mintues, go outside, take the chewy away and repeat as often as possible during the day.

Have a look on the Friends website and you will find an article called Real Reliable Recall - this is excellant and you can apply it at home.

Hormones really start to kick in from about 8 - 18months and that is when you have a young adolescent dog on your hands and behaviour issues can arise. Am putting up a new article round about end April on the Friends site called Adopting a rescue dog and do read it. It has the basis of House Rules etc in it and will give you a few pointers. It also has two of the basic TTouches in it and these will both go a long way to helping him cope.

Have you have him sterilized? If not, please do have it done. The only people that should breed are professional (not commercial) breeders. Additionally a dog that is intact will be more prone to marking, wandering, reactive behaviour etc than one that has been sterilized. Keep up the good work and do let me know how you progress, take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/13

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert