Question
Posted by: Janki | 2012/01/18

Folliculitis

I have been to my doctor because I thought I might have folliculitis. It appears I do have folliculitis. I only have it on my legs. She didn''t prescribe me any topical or oral antibiotics and also not an anti-fungal cram or something like that. She said i must rather try to treat my skin and make it more healthy because I won''t be able to cure it. But the folliculitis is really quite embarrassing sometimes. Do you have any advice for me, to treat folliculitis? Currently I am washing my legs with anti-bacterial soap, i throw savlon in my bath water, I use clean towels and I don''t use any oil on my skin. Sometimes I put hydrogen peroxide on my skin, on the bumps, only the 3% product. And sometimes I use Epimax plus. The hydrogen peroxide seems to work quite well. I stopped using mylocort because I heard the hydrocortisone can make your skin thinner. Do you have any advice for me about this condition? What will work for me? any creams, ointments etc? Is aloe vera any good and which products should I never use on this skin? please help me. I really can''t afford a dermatologist. Thank you so much.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Janki

You're doing okay with the anti-bacterial soap/savlon/H202 option. For now I'd advise against the Epimax.

Another option would be to get some Bactroban from your pharmacy to apply to the spots.

Ultimately and oral antibiotic may be required.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/01/20

Hi Janki

Reply to pharmacist