Posted by: Janki | 2012-01-18

I have been to my doctor because I thought I might have folliculitis. It appears I do have folliculitis. I only have it on my legs. She didn''t prescribe me any topical or oral antibiotics and also not an anti-fungal cram or something like that. She said i must rather try to treat my skin and make it more healthy because I won''t be able to cure it. But the folliculitis is really quite embarrassing sometimes. Do you have any advice for me, to treat folliculitis? Currently I am washing my legs with anti-bacterial soap, i throw savlon in my bath water, I use clean towels and I don''t use any oil on my skin. Sometimes I put hydrogen peroxide on my skin, on the bumps, only the 3% product. And sometimes I use Epimax plus. The hydrogen peroxide seems to work quite well. I stopped using mylocort because I heard the hydrocortisone can make your skin thinner. Do you have any advice for me about this condition? What will work for me? any creams, ointments etc? Is aloe vera any good and which products should I never use on this skin? please help me. I really can''t afford a dermatologist. Thank you so much.

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles. I think you need a course of oral antibiotics, like Minocyclin 50mg, once daily for at least 3 months. What you are doing currently is correct but you can not use any cream containing a cortico-steroid, as this will severely increase infection of the skin.