Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2010/11/04

Folic Acid

Good day, I am 5 weeks pregnant.My dr advised me not to take any tablets. I was told by many people to use folic acid but I am scared to.Is it safe for anyone?How come the dr didn''t tell me to use it?

You should take folic acid. It is safe and beneficial in pregnancy.

2
Posted by: Samantha | 2010/11/05

Folic acid is important to protect your unborn baby from neural tube defects such as spina bifida.

Watch a video about antenatal screening
Folic acid is a B vitamin. It occurs naturally in foods such as beans and pulses (e.g. chickpeas, lentils), green vegetables, and yeast and beef extracts.

Some foods are also fortified with folic acid (this means they have folic acid added to them), such as certain breads and breakfast cereals. Check the labels on the packaging. Products with extra folic acid should display a round symbol with the letter F in the centre.

How will folic acid protect my baby?
When a baby’ s spine doesn’ t develop properly in the womb, it''s born with what''s known as a neural tube defect (NTD). A well-known NTD is a condition called spina bifida (see Health A-Z: spina bifida, in Useful links). This can potentially happen during any pregnancy.

However, research shows that taking the right amounts of folic acid can significantly reduce the chances of your baby being born with an NTD

Are there any side effects from folic acid?
Research has shown that there are no side effects from taking folic acid.

ALL THE BEST!

Reply to Samantha