Question
Posted by: Ntombentle | 2008/06/30

Folic acid

Hi I am 34 years old and just got married. I am planning to have a baby next year, after my 35th birthday, that will be somewhere around August. I don't have any children. What are the risks of falling pregnant and what are the measures that I have to take to ensure that I have a healthy baby? What is folic acid and how does it help with the development of the baby. I am not using any contraceptive pills and I think it should be easy for me to fall pregnant when I want to fall pregant or will I have problems? I also need to know what kind of diet should I follow to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

There is a slightly increased risk of Down syndrome after the age of 35. This can be screened for.
If you are healthy and have no illnesses, there should not be a problem with your health.
Folic acid helps prevent spina bifida in the fetus. There is no special diet for pregnancy, just follow a healthy diet with lots of fruit and vegetables.
It is not possible to predict the ease of falling pregnant, but your age should not be a major factor.

1
Posted by: Ntombentle | 2008/07/01

Why is there a chance of down syndrome after 35? What causes it, and how does one check for it?

Reply to Ntombentle