Question
Posted by: TM | 2012/03/02

FODMAP

Hi Dietdoc
I am currently seeing a dietican because of IBS with bloating! She had recommended the FODMAP diet approach. I was just wondering what your opinion on this was? In your experience has this helped with patients in the past?
My problem is because it cuts out lactose and wheat/rye and the subsitutes are that are sold soy and gluten free are very expensive and i also dont want to be living on supplements, if you know what i mean!
But it works it is probably worth it!

Hope you understand
TM

Dear TM
The problem is that you need to try the FOODMAP diet to see if it will work for you or not. Some IBS patients benefit a great deal, while others may not. Perhaps you should mention your problem with the cost of this diet to see if your dietitian can help you solve the problem. Interact with her so that she can sort out the problems you are having, because as you say, if this diet works for you and alleviates the IBS and the bloating, then it will indeed be worth it.

1

Dear TM