Question
Posted by: deb | 2011/01/31

focus on the negative

Hi. I have had this ''thing'' for all my life. I seem to have this blockage in my mind where I cant seem to allow myself to be happy. At the moment, I am happy as I realise everything is working out as planning. However, I am sceptical at the same time and make myself unhappy. I look for all the little things that are wrong and then get depressed. How can I change this thinking?

Hi deb,
Sounds like a situation that would be well handled by CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ). You appear to be talking about a set of unhelpful assumptions about life and about yourself, and of unhelpful habits of thought, all of which could be fruitfully changed for the better by CBT. As you have grown expert at making yourself unhappy, you can unlearn such bad habits.

1

Hi deb,