Posted by: Happiest 1st time mom | 2009-07-07

Flying while pregnant

I am planniong on taking a trip to PE end of August.Up untill how far in a pregnancy are you allowed to fly in a plane?

Usually 32-34 weeks.

Thanx for your response Purple :o)

Posted by: Purple | 2009-07-07

It depends on the specific airlines rules. From a health perspective, the risk with flying is of deep vein thrombosis, and the stage of pregnancy doesn' t affect this. The longer you sit cramped does though - so sitting at your desk all day or taking a long car trip is also risky for DVT.

The reason airlines don' t want you flying past a certain point is in case you go into labour on teh plane and there are complications - which the cabin crews first aid training doesn' t cover and you then sue them.
Domestic flights are likely to allow you to fly later into your pregnancy than a long haul flight.

I flew from Jhb to Durban at 36 weeks and back again at 37 weeks. nobody even asked how far along I was. The airline had even seen me when I booked three weeks earlier as it was a free ticket and I had to go go their offices and collect the voucher.

Reply to Purple