Question
Posted by: BLUEBIRD | 2011/02/07

Flying

Having just read your advice on flying I am worried tht I may not ever fly again. My lungs collapsed last August and I also went into
heart failure.I do have emphysema which I think is at the moment quite controlled with no problems but I do often get breathless on exertion but not when I am just sitting..
I do not take extra oxygen yet . I have been told there is a right side weakness in my heart and an enlarged valve. The only problems that I do get with that is extreme fatigue at times ...Would I still be able to fly this year as I was told last year not too.I do have plans to fly this year, but now am worried in case it''s dangerous to fly having read that article.
Thank You.

Hallo Bluebird
Flying with a commercial airliner is normally not a problem if you are not in acute heart failure,or have an acute lung condition as the cabins are pressurized. I would however advise you to see your doctor before you travel to confirm that you are fit to travel. Ask your travel agent if the airline can provide you with oxygen on the flight if needed and what the cost would be.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/07

Hallo Bluebird