Question
Posted by: Lyndy | 2012-02-21

Fly eggs

My dog sometime gets to the cat food after it''s been out all day and flies have laid eggs in it. (I normally boil them before throwing out.) My question is - does the acid in the digestive system kill the fly eggs or can the eggs still hatch somewhere internally and cause damage?

Hi Lyndy

Please do not worry about the flys eggs. They do not cause any problems and yes the digestive enzymes will probably destroy the eggs. It is however important for hygiene reasons to try and prevent flies laying eggs on the food. please ensure that you cover the food and clean the food bowl on a daily basis.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012-02-24

Hi Lyndy

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet