Posted by: Eve | 2012-05-27

Fluid in Ears

Dear Doctor please can you advise..
My grand-daughter of 3yrs is in Asia and due to fly back to SA on the 6 june and its over 24hour trip.
For the past two months she has been struggling with ear infection and fever from fluid in both her ears.
At first the doctor gave her antibiotics but it did not get rid of the fluid. Then they told her to chew gum.
The latest the doctor has told her parents to get her to hold her nose and swallow to release the fluid.
I am very concerned with the trip that lies ahead.
What would you advise is the best for them to do please?
I know it may be a question for the ENT but I notice he has not responded for some time and time is short for them now.
Much appreciate all your advice thank you

I suggest that her parents consult a doctor for a script for Celestamine syrup. This is an anti-histamine and corticosteroid syrup, which will improve her symptoms. It will also have a sedating effect.