Posted by: Wes | 2011-11-25

Hi Doctor

I have had the flue now for about a week and a half, after 3 days i went to the clinic and they diagnosed me with a respiratory infection. they gave me flued tablets and put me on a antibiotics course. my question is? why is it that i still have a running nose and have flem in my chest 3 days after i finished the antibiotics course. should there be a thought of concern or is it normal to stil have the flue. would appreciate your feeback

Kind regards

Flu like symptoms can take weeks to disappear. The course of antibiotics that you took was not for the treatment of flu but rather to prevent complications, like secondary bacterial infection of the airways. I suggest strict bedrest, as well as good hydration with clear liquids.