Posted by: Natasha | 2011-10-17

Hi Doc,

I was diagnosed with middle respiratory infection / flu 4 weeks ago. I took the meds but ever since then had a tight chest. I have been back to the Doc, which have listen to my lungs, taken an x-ray, done a lung function, done blood tests for cholesterol, viral infection, iron levels and thyroid and it all came back clean. He eventually diagnosed me with Anxiety as I had 3 panic attacks during the 4 weeks now. I still believe that I don''t suffer of anxiety as even when I am not anxious and drink the Ativan he prescribed my chest still feels tight. My opinion is that because of the tight chest and the fact that I have that feeling of not being able to take a deep breath brings on the anxious feeling and or panic attacks. I have heard from a friend that she also had the flu and experienced the tight chest for more than 4 weeks? Is this possible?

If you do have the flu with lower respiratory tract infection, you will have symptoms of a tight chest, due to the inflammation of the lungs. If your symptoms worsen, you should consult your doctor. Rather use the medication your doctor prescribed and get lots of bedrest and stay well hydrated.