Question
Posted by: Lynda | 2010-04-30

FLU VACCINE

Please advise if it is safe to get the flu vaccination if you suffer from cyclic neutropaenia?

I am an asthmatic as well as have a mitral valve prolapse. I am also extremely allergic to allergens such as dust , pollen , pet hair, grasses etc. Although I have not reacted to egg as such.

Can the flu vaccination have any severe side effects?
Can you be injected with two small doses over a period of time instead of the entire vial at one go?

Lynda

You will qualify as a high risk patient for the coming flu season and I therefore, suggest that you have the flu vaccination. There are no real side-effects of the vaccination and it will be much safer to have your vaccination before the coming season.

Unfortunately, the dose can not be split into smaller doses.