Posted by: bob | 2012-03-04

Flu like symptoms remaining for +7 days

I have had fatigue and light flu like symptoms for the last 7 days. No improvement but no worsening of symptoms either.

I struggle to wake up in the mornings, eyes feel puffy and swollen and watery at times.

I get a 7 - 8 hr sleep but on waking , still feels like I have not rested.

I have a sore throat and a scruffy chest, with some phlegm build up and a scratchy dry cough.

I have some muscle fatigue, especially lower back.

Slight light headedness at times.

I have lost my appetite to some extent and even an hour after meals, I get the empty stomach feeling,

Heartburn is also more prevalent.

Can this be a virus?

Yes, it most definately can be due to a viral infection. You should get a lot of bedrest and drink a lot of fluids. Viral infections can take up to 14 days to clear. For the heartburn, you can take Gaviscon, three times daily before meals. If the heartburn does not subside and worsens, you should consult your doctor for a gastroscopy, as a peptic ulcer can be responsible for the chronic fatigue.