Posted by: Robert | 2011-11-12

Flu and Sinus and Chest congestion

I need some advise with regards to flu and specifically the Sinus and Chest congestion brought on by it. Generally prior to flu taking a hold of me, I am able to get a -|- tail of meds in to have it flyby before catching me. Needles to say, my most recent flu bug was caught just to late. That means no sleep, and very difficult breathing till the sinus part is cleared up again.

However, flu is not the problem here, it is even after the flu has gone that the sinus congestion and heavy chest remain. I don''t like consuming meds by the tons, I had my share as a child, so I would like to know what are my alternatives, where can I get hold of remedies, and some general info with regards to remedies I have heard of.

It should be noted that I was born with Chronic Asthma but I do not use any meds for it anymore, long story. I did a lot of swimming and cycling when I was younger which helped a lot, but when sinus sets in, I still suffer from time to time. I also have a sinus drip.

Remedies that I have heard of:

Vicks Vapor Rub: Good, the only thing that catches me with regards to Vicks is that it is exceptionally strong. With the asthma my sense of smell seems to be super high and the smell of Vicks, not even applied, just some one around the corner opening a tub, has a tendency to quickly relieve the congestion, but shortly afterwards i am totally breathless again due to the pungent smell of it. An alternative maybe?

Pineapple Enzyme: This is one that I have heard of, and would like to give it a try. I understand that it can help liquefy the mucus which helps for better drainage. Could it work, and where might I be able to look for this?

The Neti Pot: Now I have heard a lot about this device. Some how I just get the feeling that rinsing your sinus with mild warm (salt?) water can cause more damage than good. Am I out by thinking this way, or is it worth a try?

Steam: This is another one I have heard of but I am reluctant to try. The reason why I am reluctant is that I had my fare share of being in hospital with bronchitis when I was smaller. Wouldn''t moisture in your repertory system bring on an even worse infection?

Anything else you might suggest will be gladly welcomed.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Doc

There is no cure for the flu. The only accepted remedy is strict bedrest, as well as hydration with clear oral fluids. If you have asthma, you are at risk for a lower respiratory tract infection. I therefore, suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination to exclude the development of a secondary bacterial infection of the lower respiratory tract. If you do suffer from sinus, you can ask your doctor for treatment if a secondary bacterial infection has developed. It will be worth while to investigate if you are suffering from chronic allergic rhinitis.