Question
Posted by: Mama | 2008-12-17

Flu and Pregnancy

Im 24 weeks pregnant and i have developed this terrible flu, what i want to know is does it affect my unborn baby?

Help im really worried.

High fevers can affect the baby, otherwise not.

1
Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-17

Hey Mama,

Im 7 weeks. Also really really bad flu. I phoned my gynie. He said I can take panado to break the fever. It did not help. 2 days later I saw my endocrinologist for a special condition I have that also can effect my pregnancy. He did blood tests and was concerned about the infection (lungs) and my fever. He said it could cause miscarriage. Explained that it is important to treat it. Gave me an antibiotic thats save for the baby. This is my second day on the antibiotic and I am finally better after a week of being really sick. My doctor also recommended that I stay in bed till I finish the antibiotics (5 day course). I am having a high risk pregnancy and I am in the high risk zone (1ste trimester), so it might be different for you. But I think the general rule of thumb is to get antibiotic if you have a fever. Please go see your doctor or phone your gynie. They will do what is best for you and the baby :-) Hope you get better soon!! Must say the antibiotic really helped me, my doctor said its a pediatric one and 100% save for baby. Regards Ruby

Reply to Ruby