Question
Posted by: carol | 2010/02/09

Flu and exersise

I' ve had a mild case of flu the past 2 weeks. I do cough a bit still, and my nose still runs every now and then. I know it' s very bad for your heart to exersise when you' re sick. So my question is, is it possible for me to start exersising next week monday? I' m asking because I' ve heard that you have to stop exersise atleast an entire month after being sick.

Hi Carol

You can train very gently provided the symptoms have cleared from your body. The danger comes when you have aching joints and sore muscles. A runny nose, no problem. Even a slight cough is OK, but if your chest is burning and tight, then rather avoid exercise. You don't have to stop for a month, you just have to be cautious and rather err on the side of caution, giving your body enough chance to recover. The day or two that you lose early on makes up for it later on - if you push through the early symptoms, you might lose weeks later, so rather just be slow to return, and take it easy when you do. You'll know when your body is ready to go!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/19

Hi Carol

Reply to fitnessdoc