Question
Posted by: Louisa | 2010/06/21

Flu and encyphilitis

Hi Doctor

I need help on two issues.

1. My father is diagnosed with herpes encephilitis. He is is hospital and it is really bad as he is unable to do anything for himself anymore. He cannot speak at all. I am currently 5 month pregnant and want to know whether I am in any danger of getting this virus.

2. I''ve catched a flu. It is more in my sinuses at the moment. Got a bit of a cough and my nose is runny. Had a fever two days ago but feeling better already. Is this dangerous for my baby at all?

Hallo Louisa
Herpes encephalitis is caused by the same virus that causes fever blisters. It usually causes infection by direct contact (touch) so herpes encephalitis, which is a rare disease in itself is not contagious by being in the same room as the sick person unless you have supressed immunity (low white cell count, HIV or immune deficiency disease). However I think you should avoid kissing your dad or touching any obvious blisters he may have due to the Herpes virus.
With the swine flu doing the rounds, rather see your doctor if you have symptoms of fever, sore muscles, coughing and runny nose that does not get better with symptomatic treatment. "The usual" seasonal flu normally won't harm your baby if you don't get complications like secondary infections.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/21

Hallo Louisa