Posted by: brian | 2009-09-17

I have caughtt the flu for the first time in 4 years (I have had the flu injection for the last 4 years)

Is tthe only option for mediaction to go to my doctor at a cost of R 250 ?

Is there some type of antibiotic that can be sipplied by a Pharmasist ?

Hallo Brian
Flu is a viral infection and you don't need antibiotics unless you have secondary infection like sinusitis or bronchitis. You can treat with mucolytic like Bronkese to loosen phlegm, a decongestant and nosedrops, something like Viral Choice C, and something for pain and fever like Panado/Disprin. Stay in bed and don't exercise if you have muscle aches and pains. If you cough up coloured (green/yellow) phlegm, are short of breath or have severe diarrhoea or vomiting, you need to see a doctor.