Question

Flu

hi there doc i would like to know- i have had a bout of sinusitis, post nasal drip, nothing affecting my chest at all, a bit of a slimy cough though due to the post nasal and it is not a bad cough. I did not see adr but treated myself with homeopathic remedies and it is clearing up. That was last wk and i am almost symptom free, when can i start exercising? I would like to start with stretching yoga tomorrow and jogging on treadmill next week? is it safe? generally if you have had a flu that affects your chest do you still have to wait 2 wks before resuming even something like yoga? or is is about the intensity of an exercise that can be dangerous immediately after a chest infection? surely yoga should be fine, just want to know in case i do get flu this winter?

Ta

HI there

Pretty much right away, provided you're sure that the symptoms you're left with are not those of a systemic infection. Particularly when it's yoga - you can do that pretty much right away, because the risk is low. That risk, obviously, is that a viral infection can affect the heart and then you can develop pericarditis which can be fatal.

However, for sinusitis, which is a local problem with inflammation of the sinuses and not a viral infection, it's different and so you can train. You might feel a bit lousy during training because your breathing will be affected and you might be a little tired, but if you just back off a little, you'd be fine.

If you get flu, then it's important to rest and recover well. No point risking it for the sake of a few days of training. For flu, a week after symptoms are cleared is usually safe, though again, those are just rules that don't always fit every case. The key is that the symptoms must be gone.