Question
Posted by: Moody Florence | 2008/08/26

Flourescent Lighting and my mood

No eye forum and I think the flourescent lighting in our entire building is affecting me badly. Dry eyes, headaches and change of mood to the worse when I get to work. Luckily I have a wonderful job and company and boss. Is the lighting known to affect a person and what remedy is there really? I can turn my desk to face a wall, I am using artificial tears and I can put a lamp on my desk. But, does this actually work? Not your thing Doc, but do you know if such a thing as non-flickering flourescent tubing is made and where to get it in Cape Town.
Moody Florence

Well, I'm short-sighted, but hardly an eye man ! I know some people do complain of discomfort they p]blame on flourescent lighting, but there are so many other factors which might be responsible --- air-conditioning, dryness of the air due to heating, dust, whatever. The use of artificial tears ( in a world so full of real ones !) suggests dryness, which is more likely to be an effect of atmosphere than light. Maybe a humidifier would be worth trying ? The only faintly psych-relevant info is there has been research showing that the rate of discomfort, various health complaints, etc., is higher in people with internal offices and no facility for looking out the window on the world outside.
Maybe other readers can help you more ?

1
Posted by: Camera(wo)man | 2008/08/26

Florecent globes are actually ' green'  in color. I am a cinematographer and there is something called a Kino-flo which contains flicker free flourecents used in the film industry but would not make a difference to the lighting in the office. It just means it doesn' t flicker. Extremely pricey and not worth buying if you' re not going to light a set. It' s the not the flickering of the light that bothers your - unless it needs a new globe! It might just be the harshness of the light or the color it gives off.

I don' t think it' s the light that bothers you. I' m thinking the air!

Reply to Camera(wo)man