Posted by: kitty | 2009-09-03

Flora margarine

Dear Doc
I heard Flora margarine is rich in omega 3 &  6 and its healthy .Is this true ?Im trying to lose weight and Im on a low fat diet and I have cut bread and pasta .I have decided to stick to brown rice instead .But I crave bread so I Decided to eat 2 slices of bread on sunday(only on sunday ) with flora medium fat margarine in the morning .will that sobbotage my weightloss efforts ?

Dear Kitty
I am always amazed that people cut out carbohydrates like bread and pasta (carbs have an energy value of 16 kJ/gram), instead of fat (energy value of 37 kJ/gram), when they are trying to lose weight. You can have 2-4 slices of wholewheat or brown or low-GI or rye bread every day as part of a balanced, low-fat diet, just make sure that you only use 6 teaspoons of fat per day (for example margarine thinly spread on the bread or a bit of olive oil on your salads or for cooking purposes). Flora margarine is indeed healthy and as mentioned you can use small quantities in your diet, as long as you do not overdo your total daily fat intake.
Enjoy your bread