Posted by: BB | 2009-04-21

Hi Doc,

I am a 21 year old, with many floaters (7-8) in both eyes.

The floaters appeared after getting up from a lying-down position on a couch, I had a dizzy spell lasting 2 seconds (blackout due to postural hypotension), seeing flashing lights and sudden onset of floaters.

These floaters are driving me crazy (I have had them for 4 years now), and seem to be increasing recently (weightlifting, lack of sleep, focussing on bright cellphone/computer screen in a dark room at night)

I had a checkup with an ophthalmologist, he said everything was fine and nothing could be done for the floaters.

Is there any ophthalmologist in SA that offers laser removal of floaters ? What about vitrectomy?

Dear BB
This could maybe be caused by low blood pressure ( reduced blood flow to the retina) - take your blood pressure daily for a week ( at a pharmacy/borrow a BP machine) and work out the average of all the top readings and the average of all the bottom readings. If the average above is less than 110 and below less than 70, you may need to use something to stabilize your blood pressure - like Akrinor