Question
Posted by: Lee | 2008/08/19

Floaters

Hi Doc,
I have one to two bowel movements a day and they' re generally small, almost pellet-like and they float. I don' t eat a high fat diet, so should I be worried that my poo floats? I was inconclusively diagnosed with Celiac disease years ago, but haven' t experienced any symptoms for about two years and also resumed eating gluten.

Dear Lee
In general, the faeces produced by patients with coeliac disease are described as "Large, putty-coloured and foul-smelling, with signs of unabsorbed fat". It does, therefore, not sound as if you are at present suffering from coeliac disease. If you are worried then it may be a good idea to have a checkup with a gastroenterologist, just to make sure.