Posted by: Zoë  | 2010-03-09

Flies eating her ears

My chow is being bitten by flies on the tips of her ears. I''ve been putting vaseline on it but she rubs it off and the flies just come back. Isn''t there some kind of medication or " home remedy"  to heal her ears as well as repel the flies?
Someone suggests citronella oil - but where do i get one that''s safe to put on skin? I''ve only go the oil which you burn in a candle...
Thank you Doc!!

Dear Zoe

Try 'Shoo Fly' or Ectospot

Posted by: No Vet | 2010-03-17

Sounds crazy but an old man said he used a dab of brake fluid on the ears of his dogs and it was very effective, no stinging, hair grew back and flies stayed away.

Reply to No Vet
Posted by: jack | 2010-03-16

Advantix from your Vet - then you control the flies and also all the other parsites - ticks and fleas.

Reply to jack
Posted by: jen | 2010-03-11

You should not apply NEAT essential oils to the skin. However, you can mix it into a carrier, like aqueous cream or oil like sweet almond or olive. Make sure you get genuine essential oil that is pure, not perfume oil. Mix 1 drop citronella into 5ml cream, blend well &  put it on her ears. However, don''t do this if she still has open sores - rather use tea tree oil. This helps with healing and repels insects.

Good luck.

Reply to jen
Posted by: just me | 2010-03-11

My mom had a boerboel and the flies also ate her ears. My mom took Vaseline petroleum jelly and mixed Tabbard (about 50/50 mix) into the vaseline and put it on her ears. The tabbard kept the flies away and the vaseline made the crusts that formed soft and we could remove it easy which then helped with the healing of the wound. Although she did not like smelly stuff she did not mind the Tabbard, she stood still so we could put it on so I think she knew it was helping her. This mixture was also alot cheaper than the other stuff on the market.

Reply to just me
Posted by: Kate | 2010-03-11

Try mixing a 50/50 dilution of organic apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
I know this works well for allergies and repelling flies and fleas.
I am not sure if it will sting on an open wound but give it a try and let us know.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-03-09

Dear Zoe

Try 'Shoo Fly' or Ectospot

Reply to Cybervet