Posted by: Lebo | 2011-05-31

flexor tendon injury

Im an Occupational Therapy final year student, currently doing my practicals in a rural area. My patient was hammered by her partner, she now presents with flexor tendon injury which has been sutured, she also presents with a fractured scaphoid bone which they can do nothing about since pieces of the bone are missing, it has been concluded that she will live with the pain due to the scaphoid bone. She also presents with diissociation of the distal radius and ulnar joint, it has been said that the ligaments or disc holding the two bones together has been damaged. she is reffered to me for rehabilitation. please assist me as to what measures I should took in treating her. thanking you in advance.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

It sounds to me as if the injury has not been adequately treated and you should insist that proper treatment of the injuries be done or get another opinion. You will not be able to compensate for an incompletely managed complex wrist injury with occupational therapy alone - that is really asking a lot from you