Posted by: Megan | 2008-12-04

Hi doc i have a huge flea problem... we have been diping the dog and washing the dog with flea shampoo and i have no clue what to do.... i wash him now and nou nou when i look there will be a few fleas and if i don' t get time to wash him for the week then by the end of it he will be so covered in fleas' s almost hard to see what his colour is. ..... it' s a chuahuahua.... man i can' t spel it chihuawha ... ok anyway... so i been thinking you get pill that you can feed the dog that helps interfear with the flea sycle but i can' t find them.... where can i look

Dear Megan

Do your house with Flego flea killer spray, give the dog Capstart as well as a good product like frontline, advantix etc.

Posted by: Chivaz' s Mom | 2008-12-09

CAPE TOWH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s Mom
Posted by: felicity | 2008-12-06

The " small" capstar covers up to 11kg and the " large 11-57kg. You need to use 1 small + 1 large for 65kg. They are active in the sysytem for 48hours so its recommended to use them in conjunction with one of your spot ons at the same time as the Frontline for example takes 24-48 hour to have spread over the body. The capstar takes 30 minutes before its active in the system.Most spot on treatments cover up to 60kg however the Frontline for 65kg = about R96.00, Advantix would need a XL (R84.00) and a large (R67.00) and the the newer Ultrum line XL will cover his full can use the Capstar Small safely on cats up to 11kg (most domestic cats!!!)You need to treat bedding and carpets etc with Flego,Ultrum Duration or Fleeguard which has a residual effect for a few months. Which province do you live in as the Eastern Cape at the moment is experiencing the beginning of the " killer flea"  season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-05

Capstar is not meant for fulltime flea control, it only works for a few hours and kills only the fleas actually on the dog. So use it if necessary together with advantage or frontline or whatever. It would cost way too much to treat dogs only with capstar, that' s not what it' s meant for.

I have no idea about capstar and cats - I don' t have any cats. Ask your vet, or check it out on the web, perhaps. Don' t take a chance, because dog stuff is sometimes not at all right for cats.

Chivaz may need two ' large'  tablets at a time - again, read the dosage on the package.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-12-05

Hello All (CbV and Chill) Hope you are ok?
Chivas weight in at 65kg (lol... i weight 63), can you tell me more about this Capstar please. How frequently you have to give it and so forth.. Thing is because she is so strong- we have a great issue bathing her as she hates water, she is fine with brushing her teeth and wiping her ears and such... so frontline works best for her- cause she' d stand or sit still (only on command). I am thinking of going over to this pill now... however i will continue to treat her bedding and shed with the anti- flea/bug....

and:.... can i use it for Tessa (our VERY old cat) also?????

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-04

The cheapest place for Capstar is if you buy a box at a time (6 tablets, I think) at the chemist, though not all chemists stock it. I' ve even found it at some Dischems.

Another tip: you get a ' small'  version and a ' large'  version - if you cut the ' large'  tablets into 4 bits, each one is roughly the same strength as the ' small'  one - works out even less expensive, if your dog falls into the ' small'  category.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2008-12-04

The capstar tablet costs about R16.00 for a dog up to 11kg and R17.00 for 11-57kg. It is only active for 48 hours so apply frontline/advantix/promeris/practic/revolution on the same day as the capstar so once the capstar is out their system the other flea remedy is active.

Reply to felicity
Posted by: george | 2008-12-04

Had terrible problem when I moved, all dogs and cats - treated with Advantage once a month, sprayed the outside rooms with Fleegard, treated 6 months, and then only saw the first flea 7 months later, treated all again for 4 months, and in the last year have not had 1 flea.
Important - treat every month, see one flea, treat all pets. Treat for at least 4 months before thinking of saving or having a break. Advantage also safe for my old and young ones.

Reply to george
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-12-04

FRONTLINE........ you get a special treatment as well that you treat his bed with. Chivaz' s had it bad as well (when we moved to Africa - they ate her up!!) Frontline did the trick, and the bedding treatment as well. I would like to know about that PILL as well and what does this cost??

Reply to Chivaz&#39 s mom