Posted by: pixie | 2012-01-30

Dear Doc, my guinea pigs have fleas or mites. I saw them in the hutch when I was cleaning. I know I can bath them but what can you recomend I buy to get rif of them? Also, must I de-warm the guinea pigs? Whenever the kids play with them, they itch. Both my kids get tiny pimples after playing with them. I really want them to be held and want them to be healthy. Pleae can you give me some advise. Thank you so much

Hi Pixie

I use advantage to treat fleas on guinea pigs. You do not have to deworm your guinea pigs unless you guineas have worms – I use Ivermectin (note this product is not licensed for use in guinea pigs in SA). My best advice is to contact your local vet and ask for his/her opinion on the matter.

If you want to brush up on guinea pig husbandry then check out what literature/books are available from bookshops or the Internet. There are also guinea pig forums and these can be very informative even for vets.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Angus Campbell