Question
Posted by: Gerrie | 2010-07-14

Fleas

Hi there,

We have treated our dogs with the necessary flea stuff: capstar, frontline, fumigating the house, bathing them and washing their bedding. But still they itch. Apparently they can be allergic to the bites - what can we use to treat this?

Thanks, Gerrie

Hi Gerrie

Yes they could be allergic to flea bites but remember they may also be allergic to other allergens. If it is a flea allergy then you must maintain flea contol (as you have done). Maybe you should change your topical flea product as resistance may develop. To reduce the iritation you can use Antihistamines and/or Prednisolone +/- Oatmeal based shampoo(non-prescription) +/- Diet high in omega oils.

If failing this I would advise that you have diagnostic testing conducted to determine what the problem is.

3
Posted by: Dan | 2014-10-08

There is a new innovation that is more effective and a lot safer than conventional chemical treatmentsan it's called Pet Protector and you can buy it online. It lasts for four years and is therefore cost effective. The website is: http://petprotector.org/mission?ID=41371. Dont just take my word for it. You can google it too.

Reply to Dan
Posted by: Clari | 2010-07-27

My Maltese is allergic to fleas. He suffers from dandruff -like scales especially on his back just above his tail. I think it has been diagnosed as seborrhea. Have tried virtually everything under the sun to alleviate this.Bare patches result and the hair grows again but scabs form ands these scabs seem to be the cause of the worst of the itching. I put olive oil on his food- he eats mainly chicken, brown rice and a few greens. I use Ultrum to guard against the fleas- find it preferable to the other flea controls. Where does one have diagnostic testing done here in Cape Town?

Reply to Clari
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-07-14

Hi Gerrie

Reply to CyberVet