Question
Posted by: KARIEN | 2010/01/07

FLEAS

THE HIGH HUMIDITY HAS BROUGHT ABOUT THE FLEA SCURGE TO WHICH MY ONE DOG REACTS TERRIBLY. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW LONG DO THE CAPSTAR TABS WORK ? THEY KILL ANY FLEAS IMMEDIATELY NOT SO ? HOW OFTEN CAN U GIVE THESE. THE FLEAS SEEM TO BUILD UP RESISTANCE TO FRONTLINE SO I TRY AND ALTERNATE. HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU FRONTLINE / OR ADVANTIX ? THANKING YOU KINDLY

Dear Karien

Capstar only works for 2 days and is best to always use with a product that kills fleas for a month. Use advantix every 2 weeks for a start and remember to spray the house for fleas as well.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/01/09

Dear Karien

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/01/08

The Capstars only work for a few hours, and they will only kill fleas actually on the dog, that bite and ingest the active substance. They' re a great cleaner-upper, but work best when used together with one of the better brands of flea treatments.

The Frontline/Advantage/Advantix should be used every 4 weeks.

You need, though, to treat the environment too - everyone has their own opinion on how to do this: room foggers, etc... personally, I buy Pulvex flea powder (supermarket), sprinkle it all over, specially on the dogs'  bedding, let it lie and get ' walked in'  for a few hours, and then vacuum. Then, and this is the key - do it again 7-10 days later, to catch the next lot of larvae that hatch from the eggs in the carpets.

If you don' t treat the environment, you' re fighting a losing battle.

Reply to Chill