Posted by: Piper | 2009-09-11

Hi Dr Vet

I cant seem to get rid of noral fleas on my dog. Poor thing is scratching like death.

Dont know what to do or try anymore

Dear Piper

Cant better Chill's advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-12

You don' t give any information about what you' ve already tried - but frankly, if you use one of the better quality flea remedies - such as those sold by vets (eg, Frontline, Advantage etc), and follow the instructions, I don' t see why this wouldn' t work.

One thing people sometimes overlook is that one needs to also treat the dog' s environment - either fumigate, or spray/powder for fleas, and then vacuum - repeat regularly to catch juveniles. Include carpeting, bedding, nooks and crannies in this.

For short-term flea control/elimination, get a few Capstar tablets - they work like magic, but only for a few hours. Gives you a good boost, though, if you also apply one of the other remedies already mentioned.

Reply to Chill