Posted by: Sebastian B | 2009-05-13

For our own sake AND the sake of our dog we apply flea repellant to our miniature dachshund at a cost of app. R70 per month to our Vet. However we recently had a neighbours dog over to play for a couple of hours and a day or so later we noticed our dog scratching and discovered some fleas on him. The visiting dog is also well cared for and receives the same flea repellant as our dog so the question is " Do these expensive flea repellants really work or should we rather chose something else e.g flea collar, " supermarket"  variants, etc.?"  which may also be more reasonably priced.

Dear Sebastian

The vet products work best. You also have to treat your carpets every 3 months for fleas and use Capstar if you notice a lot of fleas on your dog.

Posted by: tracy | 2009-05-21

spray FLEGO onto your furniture and the pet' s bedding

Reply to tracy
Posted by: gavin | 2009-05-21

Capstar, Advantix, Program and ProMeris are all options to test out. Your pet' s fleas may have built up a resistance to Frontline and whatever the Vet is using. I also use Ultrum tick &  flea shampoo and Plushpet garden and bedding granules to cover all bases. Go online and do a search on which option you might prefer/suits your dog size best and compare prices

Reply to gavin
Posted by: Tania | 2009-05-20

Had fleas years ago - got rid of them with monthly Advantage for 2 years. Now keep Advantage - see 1 flea on 1 of my animals (dogs and cats) - treat all. his way no chance for 2 fleas to make lots and lots.

Reply to Tania
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-13

The fleas you noticed may not have had a chance to be ' repelled'  yet.

In my experience it pays to switch between the various brands now and then - Frontline stopped working for me, so I changed to Advantage for a bit - no doubt, sooner or later, I' ll have to switch back again.

For short-term blitzing, get a few Capstar tablets - they work pretty nearly instantly if you have an infestation for some reason.

Reply to Chill